Thursday, May 14, 2009

23Things Assignment #6

Sharing the creation of documents, how cool! It certainly does seem like an easy thing to do, and would be a great thing for something like writing up my adventures with fellow travellers. Perhaps we could create a slide show together! Of course, you have to trust your co-creators to respect what work you've done, and to acknowlege everybody. I think I might like to have a copy saved in another place, just in case, depending on how much it mattered to me.

I think that I might use this at some point in the future, if not immediately, and can see that it's a great tool for collaborative documents. We could always save the final version in another place once the document was complete, and everyone has had a chance to add their bit, or make any revisions. It might work for any documents that require our coworkers or supervisors to approve and edit.

I have experienced the problem of keeping track of version after version of documents, and not knowing if you actually were working on the latest. I also know someone who moved from branch to branch within the library system, but didn't have her own secure login. As opposed to carrying around a flashdrive, and saving files and transferring them to her new work location this way, she keeps her documents on Google Docs. She also needed to create a power point presentation (not something I've ever done) and give her presentation in another province! While she might have saved it on a flashdrive, as well, I wonder if she might not just have run it from Google Docs.

I uploaded a couple of my work documents easily and successfully, but got an error message when trying to upload a User Ed script and participants' package. I wonder if it might be that there were just too many images in each of these documents for it to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment